Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Summer Time

You are worried about seeing him spend his early years in doing nothing. What! Is it nothing to be happy? Nothing to skip, play, and run around all day long? Never in his life will he be so busy again. ~Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Emile, 1762 This time of year, I always hear about all the things that my kids friends are doing-camps, travel...I always question myself asking should I have signed them up for this or should I have signed them up for that. I saw this quote on Mommy24treasures blog and felt so much better. Don't get me wrong, my kids do attend camps but it's the kind of thing they each pick one that they are interested in and that lasts one week. Usually too, it's not an all day thing. But then when I hear all these things that some of the kids are doing in the area each week of the summer, it gets me wondering if I should do more. Now I will read this quote to remind me that it's o.k. In the pictures, JiaLi is cooking with the blocks making hamburgers and hot dogs, Dan and Jenise are playing 2-square, JiaLi is playing in soapy bubbles, and the girls are being crazy:)

4 comments:

Sophie's Mom said...

Wow, 5 kiddos? You have your hands full! Great blog!
Christine

mommy24treasures said...

aww... I just LOVED that quote when I saw it! I am a homechooling mom... just taking it slow, we learned how to read this year and are progressing nicely... that quote helps me remember how important this time in their life is. What is really amazing to me is how LONG ago it was said!!! The 1700's...
I am glad it inspired you and helps calm your fears. :) Your kiddos are SO precious as they are going about being busy!:)

Steffie B. said...

There is something to be said for children coming up with their own activities and playing together as a family! I say Bravo....it seems like everyone just wants to ship the kids off because they "think" it's what's best for them. I don't neccessarily agree.

As far as our potty training...she does go (#2) on the potty...this is just her new thing. ;( Any suggestions?

LaLa said...

I love it and may steal it myself : P I am like you and sometimes wonder should Annslee be in some more "organized" activities.. we stay so busy and she is having fun so I think we are all doing great. LOVE the new pics of the kiddos..I miss you guys, we MUST get together soon!
Oh, and I read somewhere that you learn more in the first 5 years of your life than in the rest of your years combined...I think it really must be true : )